Buy a bike for a healthcare worker in Africa to enable them to provide vital maternal and newborn healthcare in rural areas
At Maternity Worldwide we are currently training 67 dedicated community healthcare workers in Malawi and Uganda to become Skilled Birth Attendants. They will be providing a range of essential maternal and newborn healthcare to women in remote and rural villages. Quite often these workers are responsible for 4-5 villages each which means travelling long distances to reach each community on foot.
The donation of a bicycle will enable community healthcare workers to provide;
- Vital information on the risks to look for during pregnancy and when to seek medical assistance
- Antenatal screening so women at-risk of a complicated delivery are identified early and will be advised which health centre to deliver at
- Information and advice for women’s groups on maternal and newborn healthcare
The bicycles will enable healthcare workers to visit villages more regularly as they are able to travel more efficiently. Therefore they can spend additional time supporting women through their pregnancy, ensuring everyone can access safe and appropriate maternal healthcare, regardless of where they live. It costs just £130 to supply a bike and backpack for carrying equipment.
How to get involved…
- How about getting a group together to fundraise £130 as a team? You could organise a cake sale, coffee morning, dress down day, pub quiz or any sponsored event! You can set up your own Buy a Bike fundraising page on JustGiving here. So grab your colleagues, friends and family, together you can buy a bike!
- Alternatively you can donate directly to our Buy a Bike campaign. Any amount, big or small, will be a huge help! Collectively we can make a difference.
- Make a text donation by sending the message “MBIK67 £10″ to 70070 the amount can be £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10.
- Or, buy a bike in honour of a loved one as an alternative gift with our Buy a Bike Certificate.
Whatever you can do will help us to ensure women living in rural and remote areas don’t miss out on the vital maternal healthcare they deserve to be able to deliver their baby safely.
If you would like any further information or a free fundraising pack please contact us at [email protected] or fill in the form below.
Buy a Bike pack
Sign up for your free Buy a Bike pack here...