Maternity Worldwide Covid-19 Appeal
Saving Lives in Childbirth: Charity Begins at Home
We’re launching this appeal at a time of great difficulty for millions of people in this country and across the world.
Globally, the COVID-19 pandemic has claimed hundreds of thousands of lives and internationally we are striving to slow down its spread. In Africa the virus has spread to dozens of countries within a few weeks and governments and health authorities are working to limit the rate of infection and reduce the impact of the virus.
Basic preventative measures by individuals and communities are the most powerful tool to prevent the spread of COVID-191
At Maternity Worldwide we are launching an appeal to raise £10,000 so that we can support the communities where we work to continue to save lives in childbirth during this time and to help them to be more resilient to coronavirus by promoting the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) principles by:
- Providing soap and sanitation products to households in villages in Uganda and Malawi.
- Providing safe health promotion on hygiene, hand washing and social distancing from specially trained staff following government guidelines and wearing PPE.
- Providing sanitation equipment for clinics and health promotion key messages for health staff
At present, during lockdown, charity really can begin at home.
There are lots of ways you can get involved to help support our appeal, from donating the cost of a daily commute you no longer make or the price of a coffee which you aren’t able to buy at the moment; to taking part in local stay at home fundraising events; purchasing the perfect gift for all occasions: birthdays, anniversaries or celebrations: one of our digital Safe Birth or other certificates: the gift of life, which you do not have to leave home to buy, or taking part in our Stay at Home Bake-Off, coming later this spring- watch this space!
- Donate a Commute or Donate the Price of a Coffee - people donate the price of a commute or one of the coffees they might buy if out at work. Make a donation.
- The Perfect Digital Gift for all occasions – Purchase a digital Safe Birth or other certificate from your home - buy now
- Local stay at home fundraising - competitions, themed events/ competitions – we are encouraging supporters to share their ideas. Find out more.
- The Stay at Home Bake Off – households (one or more people) bake off against other household.
Please support us if you can and help us to continue to save lives in childbirth and to help the communities we service to be more resilient to coronavirus.
Please consider what that could do to help. Even a small donation, the cost of your morning coffee or an office lunch will make a big difference.
- Commuters Donating – we know that the current crisis is leading to financial difficulties for many people in the UK – however also for some it has meant a reduction in some of their regular outgoings and many people will not be spending as much on commuting. Many train operators are offering full or partial refunds on tickets. You will be refunded in full if you:
- Bought your ticket before the lockdown for travel after Monday 23rd March 2020.
- Have 3 days left on a weekly ticket.
- Have seven days on a monthly ticket.